2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks)
1 Large onion, cut into thin wedges
1 small green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons raisins
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
3 cups hot cooked rice
1. If desired, skin chicken. Arrange chicken, onion wedges, green sweet pepper pieces, and raisins in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
2. In a small saucepan cook garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add curry powder. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in the undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt, mace, thyme, and pepper. Bring to boiling; pour over ingredients in dish.
3. Cover and bake in a 350 degree F. oven about 1 hour or until tender.
Transfer chicken, vegetables, and raisins to a platter.
4. For sauce, measure pan juices; if necessary, add enough water to equal 2 cups. Transfer to a saucepan. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and cold water; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
5. To serve, spoon chicken, vegetables, and raisins over hot cooked rice.
Spoon some of the sauce atop chicken; pass remaining sauce when serving.
Makes 4 servings.